::Polymorphic::
Wednesday, July 20, 2005
  No XP for me
DISCLAIMER: This can be a potential flaim bait. But please, spare me the debate... I am not in the mood for a flamefest.

The much vaunted Extreme Programming, a form of an agile software development methodology is a failure. Do you think so? Yeah, I do. XP, like other paradigms has its not-so-good aspects. In XP, detailed specifications or requirement are not created or preserved, so where are you going to run to when a new batch of developers come in? XP says that developers work in pairs, this aspect really sucks big time. There is no better person to accompany you in programming and unit testing than you alone. After you develop, you can pass your code to a QA tester for further audit. There is no design phase. Most of the design activity takes place while in the development phase, on the fly and modified incrementally, starting with simplest thing and adding complexity as it evolves. The constant refactoring could be a major stumbling block to the cause and this could result in more effort for re-design and re-development. A representative of the client is attached to the project (spy! spy!). This client rep can become a single-point-of-failure and a bottleneck, not to mention that this guy can be great source of stress.

Nope, XP is not for me... well, at least I don't advocate it.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Richard's general thought on I.T. life, I.T. trends, the Philippines and being in an economic exile.

Name:
Location: Singapore

I am Richard Relos. A software developer.

randomized!

richard@work - rrelos.net

ARCHIVES
July 2005 / August 2005 /

Creative Commons License